Thursday, June 12, 2014

Market Dress




This pattern is too sweet!  I am seriously in love.  Amelie and Henri has blown me away once again.  Previously, I'd sewn up and fallen in love with the Esmee Dress.  I may love the Market Dress more.

I was surprised at how quickly this came together, even with the pin tucks on the straps and waistband.  I actually followed the pattern on this one except that I didn't include pockets.  The fabric pattern was already so busy, I thought the pockets were just too much.


Ok, that was a bit of a fib.  I did the pin tucks different than called for in the directions.  There were supposed to be two on each strap and three on the waist band.  I switched them because I don't know how to read a pattern...  As a result, my straps are quite a bit thinner, but I still love how it turned out.


I love how the underskirt is meant to show.  It gives such nice dimension to the dress.


The dress is relatively simple pinafore but the added pin tucks and the underskirt really make it look more complicated than it actually is.  I layered it over an eyelet ruffle tank I had hiding in the bottom of a drawer somewhere.  It would be cute over a short sleeved blouse too.


It buttons all the way down the back which I think is darling, but a zipper could easily be installed.  The buttons make the fit a bit more flexible.  The straps cross in the back and button in place.  There is plenty of room to move down the buttons and let out the skirt so she should be able to wear this for a couple of years.  I LOVE that in a pattern.



I did find that concealing the raw edges on the pettiskirt was a bit tricky and not really addressed on the directions.  I was able to figure it out but if a beginner were sewing up the pattern, they might run into some difficulties.



Little Miss says it's very comfy and wants to wear it this fall with boots and a long sleeved jacket.





  • Green Fabric - P & B Textiles - Wildflowers in Yellow
  • Pettiskirt Fabric - Floral Eyelet in Maize from fabric.com
  • Pattern - Amelie and Henri Market Dress



















5 comments:

  1. your photos and the dress is gorgeous!!! Lovely! pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely photos! I'm a new mom to a four-month-old girl, and I'm dreaming of the day I can sew cute dresses like this one and take such gorgeous photos of her. Not that I'm wishing away these wonderful baby months, but you know... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen some darling tiny dresses sewn up for babies. I'll bet she has a home sewn wardrobe in no time!

      Delete
  3. I'm 100% sure I've commented on this before, but apparently I am 100% incorrect! This is such a beautiful dress,the photos are so ethereal & magical! I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete